As pet owners, we want our furry companions to live long and healthy lives. However, it can be quite challenging to detect issues with our pets since they are instinctually able to hide pain or discomfort. That's why pet wellness exams are so important. A wellness exam is considered preventative care because we can detect illnesses or diseases early on and provide treatment before they worsen.
Pet wellness exams should occur annually. However, your pet may need bi-annual visits should it have medical or lifestyle concerns. Wellness exams can also save pet owners money that would be spent on expensive treatments for preventable diseases. Our veterinarian at Granada Veterinary Clinic in Mission Hills, CA, provides an array of pet care services, including pet wellness exams.
Benefits of a Pet Wellness Exam
One of the first reasons regular wellness exams are essential is to establish a baseline for your pet's health. Our veterinarian can use your pet's first consultation to gather general information about its health and compare this information with the results from your pet's next exam. This helps us identify any health changes and potential issues early on before symptoms set in. Routine visits to our clinic make your pet more comfortable receiving veterinary care. Even if your pet seems healthy, it could secretly be in pain or developing a severe condition that you're unaware of. We will ensure your pet receives the testing and care it needs during a wellness exam to live a long and healthy life.
What to Expect During a Routine Pet Exam
A wellness exam with your pet is quite involved. Some aspects of a comprehensive pet wellness exam often include:
- Vaccinations- We'll ensure your pet is up to date on its vaccines.
- Check heart and lungs- We'll listen to your pet's heart and lungs to check for any abnormalities.
- Mouth- Our veterinary professional will examine the mouth to check for signs of infection and proper development.
- Eyes and Ears- We will inspect the eyes and ears to check for diseases or infections.
- Joints- Our vet looks at your pet's joints to look for signs of arthritis or other musculoskeletal issues.
- Bloodwork- Annual exams can include bloodwork that gives a picture of your pet's overall health.
- Parasite control- We examine your pet for common issues found in pets from fleas, ticks, and other parasites. Our vet can also provide the parasite protection and treatment your pet needs to stay safe and healthy.
Visit Us for Quality Vet Care in Mission Hills, CA
A pet wellness exam is a critical component for maintaining your pet's overall health. Our team at Granada Veterinary Clinic is here to help build a care plan to manage your pet's health and protect it against harmful parasites and other conditions. Contact us today to schedule your pet's next appointment or to learn more about the veterinary services we offer.